Friday, June 11, 2010

the kids started camp this week, and so our summer has begun. we're at the pool whenever possible, sleeping later, and staying up to sop up as much beautiful sunlight as we can. this summer, for some reason, also marks a new obsession with all things ice cream and sorbet.

have i mentioned the basil sorbet i had earlier in the week?

basil sorbet.

i could eat it every day until i die. theLeon can have his spaghetti, my heart belongs to basil sorbet.

there is a new joint around the corner that has gelato and sorbet that can blow a gals mind. out here in bum fucking egypt, we don't have a lot of big city fancy stuff like sorbet. and gelato. this stuff is the best thing i've had since philly. the possibilities abound.

since i'm off the dairy train, and soy is bullshit, i've taken to making my own stuff using coconut milk, or going the sorbet route. what i've got to figure out is what taste combos are the best. as tara as my witness, i'm going to make the best ever icy stuffs in all the land.

here are the things i'm going to try first:

sorbet:

• BASIL

• blueberry nectarine sorbet (inspired by an amazing pie from the baking with julia cookbook)

• current-raspberry (my mom makes this as a jam, do it's gotta be good, right?)

• some kind of tea. earl grey, perhaps? more likely a rooibos.


ice cream:

• a spicy chocolate ice cream (inspired by a lake champlain truffle i once had. this looks like a good place to start)

• the ever overdone, but fabulous salted caramel (i make a really kickin' hazlenut caramel)

• avacado? i'd say absolutely not, except i tried it once and it was fab.


lots of other flavor combos to explore. i can't wait to begin. after i've grabbed some basil sorbet from the local joint around the corner, of course.

3 comments:

Janis said...

I love this tea and it might be pretty awesome as a gelato; http://www.gongfu-tea.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=69

Also, I saw some video about a Gelato University in Italy.

amanda1mc said...

I read in the most recent Islands magazine about the most awesome avocado 'green smoothie'. The article says - milk, sugar, ice, and mau chocolate. (oh yeah, this author's on one of the best islands!) So... I love avocado's... lemme know if/when you do experiment!

The Mother Tongue said...

Man, if you need a taste-tester, I am all over that.

Also: it's not sorbet, but I've been pondering making a curry raisin bagel. Does that sound good or am I totally nuts?