My heavens, but last week got out of hand. Monday's snowfall was innocuous enough-a bit inconvenient for a town not equipped for such things-but pretty to look at.Then? Then we crashed headlong into Kentucky's nemisis...the ice storm.
I can do snow, folks. I grew up in a town that AVERAGED 186 inches a year. I married in Michigan, for goodness sake. It was so cold the day we got married that my nieces and nephews were throwing water in the air to see it turn into snow.
Ice is different, though. It has absolutely nothing in common with snow. This ice business is pure insanity. The most nefarious element of which is its attack on our trees. Each individual branch, even the wee ones, are absolutely enveloped in ice. As is everything else in sight...power lines (upon which the trees inevitably fall), phone lines...heckfire, we even had grasscycles.
So...last week we lost power and played nomad.
In addition to all this festiveness, theLeon was working at a remote location, and we had to go it on our own. The good parts were the playdates, slumber parties with friends, and a hotel stay (which mr5 labeled "paradise." That boy sure does love bouncing on beds.). The downside was sharing a one bedroom apartment, flooded basement, live wires in the backyard, tree on the house, a missed week of work, and asthma that migrated into bronchitis.
We're back in the house again, theLeon is back to his workplace, I'm missing work...and I'm just plumb tired. You know what I really need? A vacation. Preferably in a SUNNY climate.
Wednesday, February 04, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment